The Office of the Privacy Commission provides further details of the New Zealand Privacy Act and how it protects personal information in New Zealand.
The information we collect
New Zealand Innovation Council Ltd owns and operates the New Zealand Innovation Awards, brands, trademarks, websites and intellectual property. As part of our operations we may gather certain types of information about the users of our sites:
Personally Identifiable Information. You provide this when you register for services that we may offer. Examples of these services could include email, newsletters, discussion forums, events, business assistance and from time to time discounts on innovation resources and activities.
Aggregated Data. This information is generated by our systems as they track traffic through our sites. This information does not identify you personally and is not linked to the personally identifiable information that you may have provided.
Who we share this information with
The information may be hosted with a service provider. Our agreements with them protect the information that we collect from any unauthorised use.
- The aggregated data (not the personally identifiable information) may be shared with third parties such as advertisers or business partners.
- Your personally identifiable information may be shared with third parties when we believe in good faith that we are required to do so by law.
- Only if your prior permission has been obtained (which we would usually do at the time of collection), we may share the information with specified third parties.
What else we do with personally identifiable information.
We have collected this information in order to provide the best possible service to you while you are visiting our sites. To this end we may use the information that you provide for the following purposes:
- To verify your identity if you need help with a forgotten password or you are having login problems with one of our site services.
- To process any transactions that you might make on our site.
- To help provide any other services that you have requested.
- To offer the most relevant information suitable to you and your interests.
- For any marketing, promotional, publicity, marketing or market research that we might undertake.
- For any other purposes for which you have given permission.
What about cookies?
A cookie is a small file that resides on your computer and is recognised by our server when you visit our sites. A cookie does not provide us with any personally identifiable information. It does provide details of your IP address, the computer platform that you use (eg Mac or Windows), the browser that you use (eg Microsoft Explorer or Netscape) and what domain you are accessing our sites from.
With this information we can do the following:
1. Track traffic patterns to our site.
2. Ensure that the most relevant content is being shown.
3. Allow you to enter certain site member services without having to log in each time you visit.
What about our advertisers and business partners?
Opting in and opting out.
You will always have the option to opt in to certain services and to opt out of those services at any stage. This means you may change your mind at any stage about participating in any of our member services.
Can we change this policy?
Your right to access our information.